Marriage requirements

Documents needed for a Civil Wedding

Citizens of the Countries adherent to the 1990 Munich Convention: Austria, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Moldavia, the Netherlands (Dutch Antilles, Aruba), Portugal, Spain, Switzerland and Turkey.

  • International certificate of capacity to contract marriage issued by the Civil Registry Office in your country.
  • International birth certificates.
  • Photocopies of the identity papers of the spouses and two witnesses.

Citizens of Africa, Asia, Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Latin America, UK, USA, etc.

  • Birth certificates of both spouses.
  • Nulla Osta (“no impediment”) issued by your country’s Embassy in Italy.
  • Photocopies of the identity papers of the spouses and two witnesses.
  • Some countries such as Australia and the US also need a Notary Deed (Atto Notorio), issued by the Italian Embassy in their own country. If it is not possible to obtain a Notary Deed in your own country, a complex declaration before the Civil Court in Italy will therefore be necessary.

Citizens of Canada

  • “Nulla Osta” (Certificate of non Impediment) issued by the Canadian Embassy in Rome.
  • Valid Canadian passport.
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship (Canadian birth certificate or Certificate of Canadian Citizenship). (If you were born in Québec: Only birth certificates issued on or after January 1, 1994, by “Le Directeur de l’état civil” in the province of Québec are accepted).
  • Document issued by the competent Vital Statistics authorities in Canada confirming that no registration of marriage appears in their records (if obtainable).
  • Complete details of the future spouse (full name, date and place of birth, residence, father’s name and mother’s maiden name).
  • Final divorce decree or death certificate of previous spouse (if divorced or widowed).
  • The declaration issued by the Embassy or Consulate General must then be presented to the competent “Prefettura Ufficio Legalizzazioni”. Banns are waived if neither party is Italian nor residing in Italy.

US Citizens

  • Birth certificates of both spouses.
  • Before leaving the US, Atto Notorio from the Italian Consulate closest to your current residence. If an Atto Notorio was not obtained previously or you currently reside in Italy, the Atto Notorio can be executed at any Tribunale Ordinario in Italy: Ufficio Atti Notori , Via G. Cesare, 54B (“nuovo edificio” first floor, room # 86), Rome, open Monday through Friday, 9:00am – 12:20pm, (tel.: 06-3577-547). You must call for an appointment between 1:00 pm and 1:30 pm only and in Italian, asking how many revenue stamps you need. Two witnesses over 18 years of age and an interpreter, if necessary, need to be present. You, the witnesses, and the interpreter (mandatory) must show proof of recent entry into Italy, i.e. plane ticket or visa, or a Permit to Stay (permesso di soggiorno).
  • A “Nulla Osta” or declaration of no impediment issued by the US Consular Section in Rome, located in Via Veneto 111, by appointment only. The Nulla Osta is valid for six months and costs $50.00 or the equivalent in Euro. The Nulla Osta must be signed in front of the Consul then be legalized by the Ufficio Legalizzazioni of the Prefettura (so that it may be used for all legal purposes in the United States) on Viale Ostiense, 131L, Rome, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 9:00am to 12:00 noon (tel.: 06-67294633). Before you go, purchase a revenue stamp (marca da bollo) worth 14,62 Euro. If you are marrying in a Catholic Church at the Vatican, you do not need the legalization with Apostille at the Prefecture.
  • Photocopies of US passports (or American Armed Forces identification cards) of spouses and two witnesses.

Documents needed for a Religious Wedding

You may choose to get married in your own native language at any church in Italy: Our services are celebrated by priests and ministers of all nationalities.

Roman Catholic Church:

  • Your parish must send a letter of authorization to Rome together with:
  • The Baptism and Confirmation certificates, as well as all the documents also necessary for a civil wedding:
    • international certificate of marital status (single)
    • international birth certificates
    • photocopies of the documents of the spouses and two or more witnesses
  • If necessary, a Nulla Osta or certificate of no impediment, issued by your Consulate in Italy and a Notarial Deed issued by the Embassy of Italy in your own Country. If this is not possible, a complex declaration before the Civil Court in Italy will then be necessary.

At the conclusion of the church wedding ceremony, the Catholic marriage certificate is signed at the Church where the wedding has taken place and is then delivered to the Registry of Births, Marriages and Deaths, which will issue an international marriage certificate some months thereafter.

Weddings can also be celebrated at the Vatican, also known as the Holy See. Because the Vatican is a separate State and not part of Italy, the Nulla Osta is required but it does not need to be legalized by the Italian Prefettura. Marriages at the Vatican will be registered with the Vatican civil authorities and marriage certificates are then issued by the Vatican City’s Civil Registry (Ufficio di Stato Civile, Anagrafe e Notariato, Governatorato, Città del Vaticano).

For the various denominations (Anglican, Calvinist, Episcopalian, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Protestant, Quaker etc), we shall contact the relevant minister.

Ceremonies performed at non-Catholic churches also require the civil ceremony.